Monday, March 2, 2009

Black & white or color?



I can't decide if I prefer this in color or black & white. Opinions , anyone?
David

6 comments:

abigail blosser said...

I would work in black and white. The color doesn't add any new information for me to the image. In black and white I focus on the shapes of the shadows and instrument.

el kay said...

i agree with abigail. yet if his eyes were more in view, i might go with color instead. seems like he's got some nice color in his eyes.

Anonymous said...

i would choose color if, as lara pointed out, his eyes were more in view and the left side of his face not in the shadows

the reason is i find the color to be richer yet because of the mid dark grey background, black shirt, dark brown of his cello and lighting/reflection on instrument i still get the tonal feel,
visually, of a bw at least from the beard down

dhienf_emotion said...

I often like BW but with this photo, I prefer color to BW. He isn't young yet so the color on his face can tell me that he is healthy. I can not feel that in BW one.

His face color and the color of the instrument are in opposite corner of the photo making this one attractive to me.

Leon Godwin said...

I think I like the color version more myself. I like the warmth of the bass and his face. The black and white is nice too, but I like black and white more when its contrasty and grainy, so this particular shot, at this contrast level, is better in color to me. (again, I'm colorblind, and also see the world thru beer goggles most of the time anyway)

Leon Godwin said...

I think I like the color version more myself. I like the warmth of the bass and his face. The black and white is nice too, but I like black and white more when its contrasty and grainy, so this particular shot, at this contrast level, is better in color to me. (again, I'm colorblind, and also see the world thru beer goggles most of the time anyway)