Thursday, February 12, 2009

Times are a change'n
















Found this in my reject folder. It's an image of a Native American dancer on break from his show. He's studying a GRE Exam text. There is a small stage to his rear where he performed in front of a small trinket shop. The person who was playing the drum is propped against a wall to his rear (in another photograph) texting on a blackberry type device. I've had conversations with several of you about what exactly is a "documentary photograph" and what separates it from standard portraiture. I think this sums up my personal definition; one that freezes a moment in time and place, ideally with an underlying story to tell.

I'd love to see an image from you and your definition.

2 comments:

Leon Godwin said...

What a great shot. Very telling, even if I didn't have the backstory, there's enough visual information in the picture to tell a good story, and give the viewer pause. I like your definition of what a documentary portrait is; finding a workable definition, and also an approach, is what I signed up for this class for. I'll dig thru the archives and see if I can post something that helps me define it for myself...

el kay said...

i'll look for something in my photo archive or go shoot something this week and respond soon. i was looking for an assignment anyway! thanks for starting this "dialogue"..it's what i signed up for too.

lara